Anyway, Shayna recently began her own blog. It mostly consists of photographs from her time in Italy as well as recipes that she collected. I decided to post a recipe in my own in hopes that you are all taking my advice in trying new things. While browsing through one of the English
cookbooks that was on the bookshelf, I came across the "Roasted Eggplant Lasagna" recipe which I thought was perfect, as it is Italian, healthy, and vegetarian. I promise that it's not as hard as it seems.
Roasted Eggplant Lasagna:
Preparation time: 50 minutes. Baking time: 30 minutes. Serves 8.
- 1 small eggplant
- 2 small zucchini
- 5 tomatoes
- 1 large sweet red pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into small wedges
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of fresh basil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2/3 cup pitted Greek olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons of Asiago cheese
- 3/4 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 6 lasagna noodles
|Things are heating up in the kitchen!|
- Cut eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes and red pepper into 1-in. pieces; place in a large bowl. Add onion, oil, 2 tablespoons basil, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss. Transfer to two greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Bake at 450° for 20-25 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in olives.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Add bay leaf and nutmeg. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in 3 tablespoons Parmesan, Asiago and remaining basil, salt and pepper. Discard bay leaf.
- Spread a fourth of the sauce in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Top with 2-1/3 cups vegetables, 1/4 cup mozzarella and three noodles. Repeat layers. Top with a fourth of the sauce, remaining vegetables, mozzarella, sauce and Parmesan. Cover and bake at 375° for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.