Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Keep Calm & Work Hard

Can someone please remind me what relaxation and
tranquility is? Because I totally forget right now.
Life has never been so busy for me than it is right now at this very moment. My list of things-to-do is longer than the Tiber River and I have never had so many things on my plate. Don't be fooled, though. I'm not stressed - I'm totally and completely happy. For now.
If you read my last post Princess Of China, you'll know that my friend and I have collaborated in hosting Rome's Cover The Night event. Although its still more than a month away, Ronja and I have been creating posters together while sharing pizza in the midst of our planning and organizing. Because we decided to take the responsibility and plan this event, we've also been the ones doing all the legwork. We've been 
running all over Rome asking shops and businesses if they would so kindly allow us to put our posters inside and outside of their properties. Some have declined, while others got excited about two young girls having a passion for doing good deeds. Its a lot of work, but in my opinion, well worth investing my time in.
On top of that, I'm busily writing essays and applying to scholarships to hopefully chop down the $7,746 price tag on my tuition. I'm not a patient person and it isn't exactly fun having to apply to all these scholarships, but let's face it - neither of my parents are doctors or lawyers. And a lot of these scholarships only seem to be eligible to people who are disabled or of Aboriginal decent. I don't mean to offend anyone by asking for money, but I'm just a young white woman with working limbs who comes from a middle class family. All I want is to be able to live comfortably. 
Me.
Oh, but you still haven't heard it all... I'm not sure if I've mentioned that I'm writing my own weekly column in the InPort News. This is a newspaper that is published every Friday in my hometown and thanks to the help of a fellow Journalist Eddie Chau and editor Dave Johnson, I have my own section titled, "Canadian Girl, Italian Living." I'm having a lot of fun with it because not only is it more pieces to add to my portfolio, but its also an eye opener to the industry I'm getting into. Any kind of published work is a way to get my foot in the door, and it isn't as though the work is boring. I love doing what I do. I have two articles that I'm in the process of working on, and I don't want to see either as something to knock off my To Do list once I'm finished. I never want to stop loving this.
I'm attempting to successfully finish all of this while still enjoying Rome and working as an au 
Me again.
pair and English tutor on the side. But... I might get a third job as well. The money I'm making over here isn't much, and I want to help contribute to my education as much as possible. Last Tuesday night was my parents last evening in Rome, and so we went to a restaurant together right around the corner from my house in Campo dei Fiori. The waiter fell head over heels in love with me and gave my family free wine and limoncello shots. He took a picture with me, asked my parents if he could marry me, the works. It was all in good fun and our night was a lot more interesting thanks to him, but I was wonderfully surprised when he told us something that might make my wallet a little thicker. It turns out that he was the manager of the restaurant, and that he's looking for some new employees to waitress and work as bartenders. He suggested that later on this week I go in and sit down with him to if I was 
Its times like these when I wish I
enjoyed coffee so I could get that
sudden burst of energy.
interested in working part time there after my au pair job. Can I really handle three jobs while still being able to enjoy Rome, complete all my scholarship applications and run around interviewing people and sit down at my desk in order to meet my weekly deadlines for my column? And then the other question lingers - what about my blog? 
Now you can see what I meant by saying I'm busier than ever. But I seem to be good at multitasking and hope that I can learn to balance everything. I'm not asking anyone to feel sorry for me, but the reason why I'm telling you this is because I don't want people to wonder if I don't update my blog as much as usual. Right now my life is very busy, and I hope that most of my reader's will understand and respect that.

No comments:

Post a Comment