Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Hot Off The Press

Photo courtesy of the lovely Emily Kalynuik
Guess who wrote an article about traveling to Italy instead of pursuing university and had it published in her local newspaper? Can't guess...? Ok, ok. I'll tell you... It was me! The editor of the InPort News was proud to run an article I wrote about my experience over here in Europe and I'm even prouder to announce the feedback I've received from it. A lot of my friends and family have already read it back home and congratulated me on a job well done. In case you haven't had the chance to read it yourself, here's the link for you all to check out. The article is on page 31 and is titled, "To Travel, Or Not To Travel.' There is a picture of my happy self standing outside of the Pantheon that was taken on the Canadian Thanksgiving Day.
http://eedition.inportnews.ca/doc/InPort-News/InportNews/2012020901/#30 
Fortunately for me, the editor of the paper was really impressed and encouraged me to 
I would really love to own one of these bad boys.
continue writing articles for them. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to build my Journalism portfolio and get my foot in the door, so I don't want to waste a single opportunity. Instead of taking a more personal approach, I'm going to begin coming up with new subjects and ideas from a third person point of view as a good Journalist should. What will my next article be about? I'm constructing an interview with the eldest daughter in my Italian house, Clementina. Beautiful, artistic, sweet Clementina, who is mature beyond her years and has spent two summers at a camp in 
Pennsylvania. Which makes her perfect for the subject of my article. The interview will reveal an Italian's perspective on the culture difference between the Italians and North Americans. I remember a conversation Clemi and I had in the kitchen once about how much the girls at her camp used the microwave and ate "weird, Chinese noodles in a box." She also laughed about how everything comes in a can and how we have "this really strange box with noodles and you just put cheese on top." She meant Kraft Dinner. I definitely think this is going to be an interesting interview.
In more news, guess who had a baby? This time it wasn't me. My cousin Jen and her husband Mike recently gave birth to their first child, a daughter named Jayla Maddison 
Perfection achieved.
Keller. She's of course adorable, as all babies are. Its times like these that make being far away from home an obstacle. Even though everyone else in my family is meeting her next weekend, I still have to wait another four months to see her. I know that there's a lot of things I'm missing out on, and sometimes that makes things really hard. But I know I'll see her eventually, and the other things can wait. I wouldn't give up anything in the world for the experience that I'm having here, and even though life is moving on while I'm away, I know that I've changed a lot too. Have you heard the expression, "You can never step into the same river twice"? Its definitely true. Every time you leave your home, something about it will change. I'm kind of excited to see what has changed about Port Colborne. Every time I ask about it, everyone claims that nothing has changed in Port Colborne, and in fact, nothing ever will. But these are the people who have been in Port Colborne for a long time, who haven't left and, therefore, haven't noticed the changes about the city, no matter how big or small. Not everything can stay the same forever. And you shouldn't want it to, unless we're talking about the new Facebook timeline. Anyway. You really don't know how much things change until you leave it alone for a while. I remember picking up Eat, Pray, Love the other day and noticing something that made me laugh that didn't make me laugh before. Even though the book itself obviously hadn't changed, its my mind that has, and picked up on something it hadn't before.

2 comments:

  1. Just read your article in InPort News, you were born to be a writer, that's the bottom line. You are doing things that so many people (myself included) only dream of. We might not be close friends, but I am glad to know you at all. You are an inspiration, and a gift to journalism. Keep it up Michelle, you are doing fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO much Kailey... I always appreciate it when people tell me they enjoy my work. I'm glad that you're a reader and your kind words just made my day. Really, I can't thank you enough for what you just said! :)

    ReplyDelete