Sunday, January 29, 2012

Cronia Polla

Birthday girl & I.
I have to admit that this blog post is going to be a bit all over the place because I have a few different things that I want to discuss today. In my usual detailed account of what I do here in Rome, let me first tell you that it was recently my friend Lexi's birthday. Lexi is the adorable Greek girl who turned the big 1-9 this past week. A bunch of the other au pairs and I went to this beautiful park in Rome and, by tradition, had a picnic. It wasn't so much a picnic as it was a dessertathon. Micah made this delicious strawberry white chocolate... thing that was so good, I almost went into a coma. And my cool friend Rhianne, the British one who studied art history, made these incredible brownies. We basked in the afternoon sun, drinking and eating and celebrating Lexi's birthday while overlooking a beautiful pond. I wish I was able to spend my birthday in Rome, but sadly, my flight leaves exactly one month prior to my special day. I hinted (ok, announced) that I wanted a surprise birthday/going away party before I leave, which I suppose ruins the element of surprise completely. First of all, I've never had a surprise anything before. And secondly, I promise to act surprised. What
better way to surprise someone for their birthday than by throwing a party when its not even close to the date?! I'm going to forget about my genius idea in hopes of tricking my mind into sincerely being surprised at the blowout 19th birthday bash for MichElle Pressé, aka the girl who has never been surprised with a party before in her life.
Besides that, Kelsey and I went to the Vatican museum this morning. On the last Sunday of every month its free, and we decided to wake up bright and early so that we could beat the lines before 8 am. We joked about getting old because the entire time we were having joint and muscle pain and I kept having to sit down every so often to take a break. I love hanging
out with her because I know that I can say anything on my mind without her thinking that I'm totally crazy. I think only a select few people understand my sense of humour, but then again, a bunch of you people seem to think I'm funny, so I must be doing something right.
Now, to expose a little secret I've been keeping to myself for the past while... One of my goals in life is to write a book. Well, lot's of books. Obviously it isn't a secret that I love to write and want to make a career out of it, but lately I've been thinking that I should go ahead 
and write a book like I've always wanted to. A lot of you reader's have encouraged me to continue pursuing my passion, and there really isn't anything stopping me from doing it. Except that I don't have the money to find a publisher or editor, but its not like I would be able
to finish it anytime soon anyway. In fact, sometimes it takes years in order to complete a book. You have to be patient with yourself with any form of art. 
But here I am in Rome, and am constantly inspired by the people I meet, the places I go and the sights that I see. I take note of everything that is interesting to me, and I have enough time to sit down and write what I want. I don't want to expose too much, but you heard about it here first. I'm writing a book, and I'm actually going to finish it. Eventually. 
I don't know how much I'll tell you throughout the process, I'm just letting you know that its happening. From what I've brainstormed so far, its going to be loosely based on my experience here in Rome, but of course more fabricated. The story is about a young girl who chooses to travel across Europe instead of going straight to university, much to the horror of her friends and family. It will of course be based in Rome, but she will travel throughout the continent and be thrown into situations far crazier than I've been in. Just a little insider, but that's all I'll reveal for now, unless you message me personally. If you have any suggestions or ideas feel free to send them to me and maybe I'll use them!
A few of you reader's have sent me questions which I'm excited to answer, and I have to 
say... I can see you took it very seriously when I said to ask me whatever you felt like. This is what some of you came up with.
Questions & Answers at the University of Life:
lost & confused:
Thank you for this! I want to move out of a small town and cant decide where to go I don't know what to do. Should I go to LA, NY or Florida?
UofL
Dear Lost & Confused,
Next time you ask me a question, can you be a little more specific as to what you're looking for and who you are? If you're retired and have been using anti-wrinkle cream for the past couple decades, I suggest moving to Florida. If you're trying to kick off your career as an actress or professional surfer, than L.A is the obvious place to move. And if you're a cool person who can fend off cold winters and enjoy being packed on a small island with 8 million other people, New York City is the place for you. Hope I helped! xo

skibunny55:
do u miss home?
UofL:
No.

jp:
describe the 'perfect man'.
UofL:
How do I answer this question in moderation? Oh, JP... Give yourself a pat on the back - you just gave me a great idea for my next blog post. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment